SDOT Update: 4th Ave S Paving Project
This week, crews have been making great headway on the southern section of on 4th Ave S project corridor between S Spokane and Holgate streets. Please note that on Monday, September 4, crews will take a break to celebrate Labor Day; work will resume as scheduled on Tuesday, September 5, with Tuesday overnight work scheduled at the Holgate St intersection. See details below.
Crews are moving efficiently to complete the paving of 4th Ave S as quickly as possible, making it challenging to predict the location of the active work zone on a given day. We are committed to providing you with accurate information about what to expect to the extent possible, and appreciate your patience as we work to keep up with the fast pace of construction!
For the rest of this week and into next week, you can expect:
- Continuing road repairs between S Spokane and Holgate streets: Crews are continuing to dig up the existing pavement, perform base repairs, and cover the excavated areas with compacted fill and asphalt. This material will allow the roadway to be used prior to final paving. Base repair work in this section of 4th Ave S is expected to be complete next week.
- Traffic lane shifts on 4th Ave S: Starting next week, crews will shift all work to the east side of 4th Ave S. To accommodate this work, both northbound and southbound traffic will be shifted to the west side of the street, with northbound traffic using the center lane. Crews will maintain 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. This lane shift will help ensure traffic flows smoothly and safely, and uniformed police officers will be onsite to direct vehicles around the work zone.
- Overnight work at Holgate St: Beginning 7 PM on Tuesday, September 5 until 7 AM on Wednesday, September 6, crews will conduct overnight work at the intersection of Holgate St to adjust the traffic light, straighten the sidewalk on the northwest corner, and provide temporary striping.
- Crews will complete work at one end of the intersection before moving to the other end. Temporary lane restrictions will direct vehicles around the work zone.
- The bus stop will shift to the side of the intersection that is not in the active work zone. For information on changes to Metro stops, please visitkingcounty.gov/metro/alerts.
Upcoming construction activities in the following weeks:
- Crews will continue road repairs between S Spokane St to Holgate St, and will circle back through the sections they’ve already worked on later this month to perform additional work before final paving.
- Additional night work is expected over the coming weeks
- Sidewalk work will begin in late September
- Final paving is still expected to begin as early as October
What to expect throughout construction:
- Weekday work from 7 AM – 4 PM, with some anticipated night and weekend work. Night and weekend work will be communicated in advance.
- Access to driveways and businesses will be maintained, though some on-street parking may be temporarily removed in and around the work zone.
- Sidewalks will remain accessible, although corners with new curb ramps may be closed for installation. In such cases, signed detours will direct those walking.
- Construction-related noise, dust, vibration, and asphalt odor
- Rough pavement after grinding and steel plates on the roadway. Roadway users should use extra caution.
- Buses will continue to operate, although some stops will be temporarily closed or moved. For information on changes to Metro stops, please visit kingcounty.gov/metro/alerts.
Questions, concerns, or looking for more information?
There are many ways to stay in touch and get the latest updates:
- Contact our construction outreach team directly via email at 4thAveSPaving@seattle.gov or leave a voicemail at (206) 727-3669
- Visit our website and sign up for email updates
- Request a briefing for your business or organization (contact us via email or phone)
For more information on this project, including regular project updates, please visit: www.seattle.gov/transportation/pave_4s.htm